Pages

23 August 2011

Day 6: Have Knife, Will Practice

3-2-8-2-2-4

No, that isn't Jenny's number. Or Hurley's Lost lottery digits (well, one is). It's probably the easiest way to remember kitchen volume conversions I've seen. It goes from smallest to biggest.
3 tsp = 1 Tb
2 Tb = 1 oz.
8 oz. = 1 cup
2 cups = 1 pint
2 pints = 1 quart
4 quarts = 1 gallon
So, that's pretty nifty.

In other news, we practiced more cuts. A lot more. I think I have effectively quadrupled my French vocabulary. Merde oui!

I haven't been completely satisfied with my cuts. The squares haven't been quite square enough. I've found that the bigger dices are actually more difficult, I think because it requires a steadier hand to make the longer cut.

The good news is we can take home ingredients to practice, so I grabbed two potatoes. Once home, while making dinner, I busted out a tape measure to practice my macédoine (1/4") cubes. Of course, I didn't want to throw food away, so macédoine potatoes, olive oil, garlic and a little thyme and I had myself some fancy, not-so-brown hash browns to go with some steak and heirlooms from the garden.



No comments:

Post a Comment